Tuesday, June 10, 2008

David Villa , Spain incredible in first game @ Euro


Today I was most definitely looking forward to seeing my favorite team at Euro 2008, Spain, and I was certainly not disappointed.
I had questions in my mind about how well the Spanish would play, primarily due to the previous game before this one against the United States, where they only managed to score one goal. However today in their first game at Euro against Russia, they have certainly found their stride and played the way i expected them too.
Yesterday I failed to point out players who played well in the Netherlands victory over Italy, but today I have no choice. David Villa was just brilliant, his hat trick in Spain's 4-1 victory, did a lot to soften the blow of Raul not being in this competition. He showed that Spain has top strikers besides the Spanish all time leading goal scorer, Raul. Before this match all I was hearing was Torres, Torres, Torres and although I love Torres very much as well, Villa just outshone him in this game. Aragones, to me for once did the right thing and that was to partner Torres and Villa up front, instead of using Villa as a substitute and it payed off big time.
After Villa's performances today, I'm sure Valencia will be beaming with joy, as their player is off to a good start in the competition and has thus potentially raised his value, which will intern justify the high price tag they have attached to the player. Valencia are reported to possibly sell at least one of their star players this summer in order to help ease the financial issues at the club, and Villa could very well be the one to be sold.
Spain have apparently gotten their defensive issues together but personally I think it needs some more tweaking, the defense cannot afford to loose concentration in the dying moments of the game just because they have the lead, it could cost them dearly if the scoreline was much closer. However, it was a good overall display by the Spanish and with a little bit more chemistry, it will be hard to stop them from winning Euro 2008. I give them two thumbs up.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All ads displayed on www.alleagues.blogspot.com are subject to the terms and conditions of the advertiser and not that of this blog or the owner, which would be me. The owner of http://alleagues.blogspot.com is not responsible for any difficulties or loses that you as a customer may have and strongly encourages you to contact the specific advertiser in such an event. Thank you.